Thursday, August 16, 2012

"Hawaiian" Chicken with Pineapple, Coconut Oil Sautéed Veggies and Quinoa

As you know, I have recently been living in Arizona while my husband has been deployed for the past few months. I got back yesterday night and have been on a whirlwind of tasks to do since then. The last and final one was to send off my Mom to the airport today... So sad. 
I didn't really want her to leave, since this will be the first test for me on my inner strength. I know that I can do this on my own, there is no doubt in my mind, but it's the fact that I have become comfortable with having my best friends and family around me for the past two months that is daunting. This leads me to my meal tonight. 


I know I haven't posted in awhile, but now it will become regular again. Before I lost all my weight, and became a better me all around, I used food as a coping mechanism. Ask anyone what they do when they're sad/depressed/going through hardships, and they'll most likely tell you the same thing. 

Food was my crutch.
My friend.           

Needless to say, it was an unhealthy relationship.

Now a days, food sustains me and my body. I use it as a tool to mold myself into the person I am and want to further become. As a result, I make great meals that sustain me :) And here is a prime example of a fabulous meal full of everything I need to be successful!


"Hawaiian" Chicken with Pineapple, Coconut Oil Sautéed Veggies and Quinoa


Ingredients:

1 cup organic quinoa (rinsed with cold water)
2 cups water

3 large seasoned (salt/pepper/McCormick No Salt Savory Seasoning) chicken breasts (I say this because I butterflyed 3 of mine and made them thinner)
2 slices of good quality thick ham
1 whole medium sweet onion
1 can of organic pineapple rings
1 tablespoon minced garlic 
5 white mushroom caps (washed, diced, stems removed)
2 teaspoons organic coconut oil

1 teaspoon organic toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons of gluten free soy tamari
1 teaspoons of hoisin sauce



Directions:

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup of rinsed quinoa with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cook for 12-15 minutes. When done, it will become puffed up and translucent in color. 

Butterfly chicken breasts and season with salt, pepper and McCormick No Salt Savory Seasoning. Set aside.

Heat a large skillet to medium/high heat. Spray with olive oil cooking spray, and place seasoned chicken breasts into pan. Sear on both sides until cooked through. Set aside.

Reduce skillet to medium heat. Place 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in skillet, and place onion and garlic into pan. Saute for a few minutes and then place mushrooms in. Saute again. Toss in pineapple and saute for 1 minute.

Take chicken that is set aside and cut into strips. Place cooked quinoa into skillet. **If your skillet is too small, you can transfer to a bowl since cooking is done at this point

Mix remaining ingredients of sesame oil, tamari and hoisin together in a small bowl and pour over the mixture in the skillet. 


Makes 4 generous servings

Enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment